Tuesday, March 6, 2012

DVD Releases for March 6, 2012

Time to take a look at a selection of DVD releases for Tuesday March 6, 2012! It's a week of fantastical & epic releases. Which of course means it's an awesome week of to hit the shelves.

  • Dragon Age - Redemption Extremely fun web series based on the role playing game of the same name, this set of fantasy webisodes follow a classic fantasy story structure but with a fun new spin. Stars and is written by Felicia Day of The Guild, this one is definitely worth a look.
  • Game of Thrones: Season 1 Epic historical/fantasy TV series based on the George R. R. Martin novels, this one is a series I can't believe I haven't checked out yet. I mean for the sheer Sean Bean factor alone I'm drawn in but I keep wanting to read the book first. Perhaps I should just dive in. Series returns for Season 2 this April on HBO & TMN.
  • Immortals (DVD, plus DVD/BluRay Combopacks inluding 3D options) Oh, how I wanted to love this sword & sandals epic from visionary director Tarsem Singh, but it was a little too antihero over heroic for me. Gorgeous to look at though, in all aspects, although is quite brutal.
  • Senna This biographical documentary on Brazilian race car driver Ayrton Senna is easily one of the most well received & loved documentaries in the past few years, and is very high on my to se list.
  • Reykjavik-Rotterdam aka Reykjavik to Rotterdam If I told you the gist of this film it would sound remarkable like Contraband, because that's exactly what it is: the original Icelandic version. To add even more layers, it stars Contraband director Baltasar Kormákur in the lead role (US release date: May 8, 2012).
  • King - Season 1 Canadian crime series set in Toronto and centred on Homicide Detective Jessica King who is one heck of a smart & fearless cop. I've really enjoyed this series and was happy to hear it got renewed for Season 2. It's got a great, strong female protagonist and fantastic supporting cast and of course I can't help but love the location spotting here in my hometown.
  • Footloose (2011) remake of the 1980's dance / rebellion film and I so wanted to be excited about it as I love dance films, but I'm just not. I'll see it eventually though.
  • Like Crazy really sweet looking romance starring Felicity Jones & Anton Yelchin; directed by Drake Doremus.
  • I Melt with You I'm curios about this film starring Thomas Jane, Jeremy Piven, Rob Lowe & Christian McKay described as "When four 40-something college friends meet up for their annual reunion, things start to spiral out of control, and a pact they made as young men is revisited."
  • We've got a few double features to choose from with thriller double feature Malevolence/Bereavement Double Feature and Steve Austin double feature with The Stranger/Hunt to Kill Double Feature (and I loooooooooooved Hunt to Kill!)
  • Recoil Although not a double feature, it stars the double awesome of Steve Austin and Danny Trejo!
  • Beneath the Darkness I'm kind of leery of anything that says 'in the style of Disturbia' considering that's pretty much considered a rip off, but even so this one holds appeal, a thriller starring Dennis Quaid, Tony Oller, Aimee Teegarden, directed by Martin Guigui.
  • Jack and Jill I think it's fair to say that this Adam Sandler comedy was unfortunately one of the worst reviewed films of the year.
Titles on Amazon.ca(Canada):


Titles on Amazon.com (US):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog